Saturday, March 27, 2010

Honey Jalapeno Coleslaw

Ever get tired of the same old coleslaw?  No? Well I do, and I'm always looking for ways to make it different, even better.  I am a huge fan of a creamy coleslaw, and not so much a fan of a vinegar based slaw...but to each their own right?  This recipe is a first for me.  This is the first recipe that I've ever written all by myself!  I usually take a recipe and change it to make it "my own."  I also have lots of stuff that I make on a regular basis that are my creations, but this was the first one that I have ever sat down and actually put to paper.  Sometimes you have made something so many times that when people ask for the recipe you go "duuurrrhhhhh I dunno...I just throw it all together".  I figured out in this process that I really do love writing them.  Trying new things and seeing what come out is very interesting to me.  Plus all the math is a bonus (yes I'm a geek)...

Trust me, when you try this coleslaw or take it to your next potluck people will definitely ask you how it is made.  There's not a lot of mayo in this, it's really the honey and the jalapenos that stand out.  So here goes...let me know what you think!


Yes, if you're wondering, those are jalapenos in that jar.  I canned a bunch of them at the end of last summer and they are like gold to me.  I may try to can a bunch this year and sell them if there is any interest.  They are way better than the ones in the can, plus you can decide how much you want to put in.  Also, the cider vinegar is M.I.A....It's there, it's just propping up the slaw.  Ooops!

Put all your ingredients into a bowl.  I'm still experimenting with my camera, and yes I do have fingernails.  I kicked that habit! Even though it is hard to tell...

Oooooh pretty green onions...on my very used cutting board...
Once you get all the ingredients into the bowl, whisk and you'll get something like this.

Then, just fold in your slaw and refrigerate!  Notice the glossy yum all over that slaw?  Well it's going to do some work in the fridge and the acidity will break down the coleslaw even more! 
Make sure you stir well before serving...And you end up with something like this...Notice how the volume was cut in half??? Told ya! ;)


So so so good, I can't even begin to tell you!  And yes, this was the only thing I made homemade that night, so sue me!


Honey Jalapeno Coleslaw
1 pkg coleslaw mix
1/3 cup mayo
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp diced canned jalapenos
3-4 green onion stems, diced
1 tsp cider vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

Whisk together everything but the coleslaw.  Fold in the slaw mix and refrigerate.  It will look like there's not enough dressing but after it has been refrigerated the coleslaw will shrink and break down.  The longer it is refrigerated the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment