Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole

While there is no red sauce, this casserole is definitely a favorite of my husband's. 

2-3 cups cooked chicken pieces (I usually use breasts, but thighs would be equally delicious)
1 package flour tortillas (12)
1 diced onion
1 package cheddar jack cheese
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk (optional depending on how "creamy" you want it)
1 carton (16 oz) sour cream
1 can diced green chiles
1 can diced jalapenos

Mix soup, milk, and sour cream in a small bowl.  Mix chicken, chiles, jalapenos, and onion in a separate bowl.  I usually mix 2 spoonfuls of the sauce in with the chicken mixture.  Make 2 layers of tortillas, chicken mixture, and cheese in a greased 9x13.  Pour the remaining sauce over the top, covering the whole casserole.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

This casserole will serve approximately 8 people, so I have been known to cut it in half.  I use the smaller tortillas and they are perfect for my round Corningware baking dishes.  I also find it easy to throw all of my first ingredients into a food chopper or processor.  This gives it a really good texture. Otherwise you may need to shred the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment